Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question about a conflict that a lawyer has in a case…

I have a question about...
I have a question about a conflict that a lawyer has in a case that I've initiated.
My ex-wife's boyfriend is accused of sexually abusing my four-year-old daughter while he was babysitting her. I went to court to get temporary custody of my daughter and received most of what I asked for. One of my concerns is that my ex used men she had just recently met online to babysit our daughter.
I just learned from a mutual acquaintance (of my ex and myself) that the lawyer who represents my ex is one of the men that my ex has had babysitting our daughter. I emailed him a simple question of whether or not this is true. He is not responding.
Suggestion?
Thanks!
11/9/2014
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Do you have any actual evidence that the lawyer who is representing your ex had any personal relationship with your ex or the minor child?

The attorney replied since I posted my question. The answer was:

Mr. Keim,

Your question is both irrelevant and inappropriate.

Very truly yours,

(name of attorney)

Dear *****,

Just hearsay. I have not asked my daughter if he babysat her, but when he came to my door to deliver responses ( a am representing myself), she recognized him, and I could ask her.

Dear *****,

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally it might be possible to file a Motion to disqualify attorney for the other side due to the potential conflict of interest, but it would require some type of clear evidence that the conflict exist and unfortunately, any statement from a 4 year child would not be admissible in court.

Also a formal complaint against the lawyer can be filed with California State Bar, but once again, it would be important to have at least some evidence of the lawyer's wrongdoing. Here is the link where a complaint against California attorney can be filed:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/FilingaComplaint.aspx

I wish you the best of luck!

Isn't her attorney obligated to give me a clear answer?

Dear *****,

No. Not at all.

This attorney has no professional duty to you and does not have to answer to any of your questions, since he is representing the other side and has to do what is in the best interest of his client.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Dear *****,

Do you have any related follow up questions?
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law