Family Law

I discovered when trying to roll over my 401k that there is…

I discovered when trying to...
I discovered when trying to roll over my 401k that there is a QDRO hold since 2001. It appears that no legal paperwork has been filed with my employer and they are asking for a copy of my divorce decree. What legal paperwork must be in place for this to be enforced and whose responsibility is it to... Read full answer
I discovered when trying to roll over my 401k that there is a QDRO hold since 2001. It appears that no legal paperwork has been filed with my employer and they are asking for a copy of my divorce decree. What legal paperwork must be in place for this to be enforced and whose responsibility is it to provide it? Is there a statute of limitations for this?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/5/2014
PlotinusLaw
PlotinusLaw, Family Law Attorney
PlotinusLaw :

Hello, thank you for your question and for contacting JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. I want to make sure my understanding of your situation is correct before answering your question. When you say that there is a "QDRO hold" since 2001, does that mean that a Qualified Domestic Relations Order that has already been entered by the Court, or, is the only paperwork on the issue the divorce decree.? Also, what company do you work for? The reason I need to know is that many companies have their own specific procedures, and some of these may be published online.

Customer:

The only paperwork I know of is the divorce decree. I worked for Conagra Foods until June of this year. They told me that the account was flagged when my marital status changed to divorced. I can't get them to answer any questions. They keep repeating ad naseum to send my divorce decree.

PlotinusLaw
PlotinusLaw, Family Law Attorney
I apologize for the late response. I thought I had my email notifier turned on, and it was not. Conagra probably requires to see these decrees as a business practice whenever someone's marital status changes. This protects them from liability. When it comes to enforcing a judgment, the statute of limitations in Illinois is 20 years. Here is a link with the appropriate statute if you are interested:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=073500050HArt%2E+XIII&ActID=2017&ChapAct=735%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B5%2F&ChapterID=56&ChapterName=CIVIL+PROCEDURE&SectionID=30813&SeqStart=97500000&SeqEnd=103300000&ActName=Code+of+Civil+Procedure%2E
As far as getting the QDRO hold off of your pension or retirement assets, based on the responses to my questions, it sounds like a Qualified Domestic Relations Order was never drafted and/or entered by either party. A judgment of divorce is not enough to force an employer to divide up the assets because technically, a divorce court does not have jurisdiction over a 3rd party employer. It would be interfering with an employment contract between two private parties while only having jurisdiction over the parties to the domestic relations action. This is why we have QDRO's. A Qualified Domestic Relations Order is an indirect way for the court to force distribution of this asset despite the jurisdictional limitations. The QDRO also protects the employer from liability from employees who would otherwise try to prevent distribution of any assets. Conagra needs the divorce decree in order to incorporate the terms of retirement asset distribution into a Qualified Domestic Relations Order.
I hope this answers your question. If not, please don't hesitate to ask a follow up. I have my email notification on this time.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I divorced in 2006 and we were advised to do QDRO and just
I divorced in 2006 and we were advised to do QDRO and just never did. My ex husband and I want to now do this. He had hat we believe a couple of 401K plans that were rolled over when his business chan… read more
Drew Peterson
Drew Peterson
Ray, I am finalizing a divorce agreement with my soon to be
Hi Ray,I am finalizing a divorce agreement with my soon to be former spouse. As part of the settlement, I will be doing a QDRO and allocating $250k to him from my 401k. He has asked the language in ag… read more
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
Lawyer,
I filed a divorce and my wife is not responding for 2 months
i filed a divorce and my wife is not responding for 2 months so, my lawyer is goign to file default judgeemnt. my lawyer sent me property division worksheet where i see he divided all assets 50% and 4… read more
Peter Patent
Peter Patent
Stop searching for answers—
My ex has been non compliant with the Divorce Decree!! I was
My ex has been non compliant with the Divorce Decree!! I was suppose to get 100 percent of the 401 k, and doing believe I got that!!! … read more
Counselor at Law,
I have been divorced 21 years ready for retirement. I did
I have been divorced 21 years ready for retirement. I did not file a qdro for husbands 401K pension. I didn't know I was supposed too. Will I still be able to get my part of pension without it. … read more
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
Lawyer,
I'm recently divorced, as part of the judgment/divorce decree
I'm recently divorced, as part of the judgment/divorce decree article IV retirement reads: The parties agree that they will each keep as their sole and separate property any and all retirement account… read more
Counselor at Law,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My ex husband and I were divorced.(2007) I have a certified
My ex husband and I were divorced.(2007) I have a certified copy of my divorce decree. I am to get a portion of his 401k for the 10 years we were married. He was to have 20 days to make that happen. I… read more
In a Consent Decree of Dissolution of Marriage, I was awarded
In a Consent Decree of Dissolution of Marriage, I was awarded $11,000.00 from my spouses 401k plan. This was filed in court on 1-3-2014. Since then I have not received the funds. He has had so many ex… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law,
My divorce decree was issued in the Montgomery County, TX on
My divorce decree was issued in the Montgomery County, TX on February 2009. Among other things it ordered to assign two houses (Woodlands, TX and Baton Rouge, LA) to my ex-wife, assign one lot of land… read more
Counselor at Law,
My husband is self-employed. We have always filed our taxes
My husband is self-employed. We have always filed our taxes jointly, but have not filed our 2013 taxes yet. We will be filling for a divorce this year (2014), soon after the sale of our house goes thr… read more
LegalGems
LegalGems
My qdro was signed and sent in by me and they sent it back
My qdro was signed and sent in by me and they sent it back stating they wanted a copy of my divorce that stated the 12,000 was the amount. I failed to reply and send anything further. It will be 8 yrs… read more
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq.
Managing Lawyer/Advocate,
The divorce decree is Nevada and he still lives in Nevada.
The divorce decree is Nevada and he still lives in Nevada. However he remarried and is talking about moving to Oregon with his wife. According to the divorce decree I am entitled to half of all his as… read more
Erin M. JD
Erin M. JD
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I was awarded my ex husband 401k; his jobs wants a quadro before
I was awarded my ex husband 401k; his jobs wants a quadro before giving it.My question is now that I have a Roth IRA can I have it roll over instead of getting the quadro?… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law,
I was divorced in Colorado in 1990 and the divorce decree,
I was divorced in Colorado in 1990 and the divorce decree, according to my wife, says the pension assets are frozen at that point of time. I do not have a copy so cannot confirm. A QDRO was never file… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law,
This is the wording in a divorce decree The husband has
This is the wording in a divorce decree: "The husband has a 401K plan. The parties agree that the wife will receive 50% of said account balance as of 12/31/10. If Husband is able to transfer said fund… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
My wife has been divorced for over a year now and the ex-husband
My wife has been divorced for over a year now and the ex-husband has yet to comply with all of the measures of the divorce decree. She lives in Tennessee and he lives in Utah. Is there anyway she forc… read more
Counselor at Law,
Divorced 15 years ago. 9 years later, my ex-wife submitted
Divorced 15 years ago. 9 years later, my ex-wife submitted the Judgement of Divorce to my ex-employer. The ex-employer rejected the document as a substitute for a QDRO, particularly omitting particula… read more
PlotinusLaw
PlotinusLaw
Family Law Attorney,
I was told that, in order to get a QDRO for child support arrears,
I was told that, in order to get a QDRO for child support arrears, I first have to get the judge who signed my divorce decree to change the order to allow for a QDRO. When my ex and I divorced, there … read more