Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Yes I live in the state of Virginia and everything I have read

Yes I live in the state of Virginia and everything I have read Virginia does not recognize common law marriage , but how do they look at common law relationship?
Hello friend. My name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply.
I am afraid not. There is no common law relationship in Virginia, either - this status does not exist. As such, individuals are either married, or, they are not.
If they are not, division of property is treated as though between two friends.
Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the reply button to keep chatting, or rate positively and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A friend of mine in her seperation agreement divorce papers says she can not cohabit or be in a common law relationship so she is trying to figure out what that means for her if she was to find someone else to start her new life
J,
Is she being paid spousal maintenance/support in her separation agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes she does receive support
Thank you.
This is a very unusual clause in the decree. I imagine it is something the parties agreed on, and not something the Court came up with.
In any case, this clause would likely be overturned - I simply do not see it as being enforced by the Court.
However, if she cohabits with someone else, she may risk her support being dropped or modified downward, if the ex files a motion to do so, arguing that her cohabiting with someone means she now has help to pay the bills and the support is not as necessary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you ! I will let her know
You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then submit – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please reply to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.