How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27567
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After 2 1/2 years of going through a divorce and fighting for

This answer was rated:

After 2 1/2 years of going through a divorce and fighting for custody of my daughter we were finally able to get in front of the judge in February of this year. The judge recommended I have custody. The judge told my ex she was incapable of communicating like an adult and that if she didn't follow the court's orders that she would view that as anarchy. After my attorney wrote up the order, my ex refused to sign the paperwork stating she wanted a custodial evaluation. The judge granted her this. The final result was the evaluator granted me full custody. We are now waiting to go before the judge. I have requested from my attorney to request the additional attorney fees and the cost of the evaluation to be applied to my ex. My attorney states she plans on requesting that AFTER all documents are signed and the case is closed. My feeling is the judge will see this case as closed and not want to create any other issues. I would like my attorney to request this during negotiation of final arguments. My attorney wants to come in looking nice since my ex got hammered so hard already, but this is money I do not have! I am looking for a second opinion. Thank you.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If this is something which you are entitled to and the Judge is going to award, it does not necessarily matter when it is done. However, I agree that it is something that should be done now, when you are in front of the Judge, instead of having to go back at a later time. The fact that she got hammered already is a result of her own actions, not yours. Moreover, she wanted to contest and object the Judges decision to award you custody and since there was an added cost to this, you should ask that it be imposed on her. Once the case is closed, the attorney may not want to have to deal with it and go back to court and since you are going in front of the Judge and paying the attorney for his/her services now, you should request that the cost be asked for at this point. If the Judge does not award it, so be it but it is not going to be because she got hammered before.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you