Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

i JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY DIVORICE WAS NOT FINAL THE COURT GAVE

i JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY DIVORICE WAS NOT FINAL THE COURT GAVE ME APAPER SAYING I COULD GET MARRIED AFTER APRIL 3 2013 BUT THEY NOW SAY IT AS A CLEARKICAL AAIR BUT I GOT MARRIED ON MAY 20TH THINKING I COULD WHAT CAN I DO NOW TO MAKE IT RIGHT THE COURT NOW SAYS I HAD TO WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER 4th TO GET MARRIED?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If you thought that you were divorced but the divorce was not yet granted, you were technically still married. Any other marriage that you took part in is considered to be invalid and void. Furthermore, it can be considered 'bigamous', which can be a crime. In this situation you have no other choice but to wait to be legally divorced, and then reapply for a marriage license, and redo the vows and ceremony. Otherwise the current marriage that you had is not valid and it would not be valid even when the divorce is granted--you would still need to formally re-marry for it to count.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I MUST NOT HAVE BEEN CLEAR I BIFERCATED AND MY DISOLUTION WAS GRANTED ON APRIL 3 2013 ONLY THE PROPERTY SETTLEMENT WAS NOT COMPLETE BUT I WAS NOW TOLD THAT EVEN THOUGH THE MARRIAGE WAS DESOLVED I HAD TO WAIT 6 MONTHS TO GET MARRIED WHICH WAS OCTOBER 4th 2013 MY QUESTION IS CAN I NOW GET REMMARIED WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS

Mel,

Now I understand--my apologies, it was unclear that your divorce was granted. Most divorces are granted pertaining to both property and the legal standing of parties, bifurcated divorces are far less common.

As for remarriage, many states have different conditions. Some do have a 6 month (or even a year) requirement denying marriage until that period of time passes away. Perhaps you may want to go across state lines and marry elsewhere where such a restriction would not be used against you. Otherwise the limitation is indeed binding against you.

Good luck.