How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and will have

This answer was rated:

I have been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer and will have to undergo chemo for the rest of my life. I was married to my physician husband for 13 years and was awarded 7 years of support. My spousal support ends in Feb. In my situation is there any possibility of extending the length of my support?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.


I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation, and I also wish you the best in beating or at least holding off this for as long as you can. As for your situation, spousal support is not an entitlement or a right--it is given as additional payments or compensation based on court order due to length of marriage and financial situation. It is something that once given is final unless and only unless there is a clause in the agreement that permits you to seek an extension. If not, this is a situation where the only way to extend it is if your ex agrees to pay you anyway, but the courts would not otherwise extend his obligations.


I am sorry!

Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you