How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Domestic partnership ended. Do I have legal right to palimony?

This answer was rated:

I live in Texas. My domestic partnership was ended when my partner of ten years kicked me out of our home and changed the locks on our apartment in the city. My partner is extremely wealthy seeing his income quadruple over the past ten years we were together. he did not allow me to work because he enjoyed traveling. Nor was I able to finish college. now I am without a job, have used up all of my savings on getting a new place to live. We had a couple of accounts jointly, and we've done business dealings together, he has also helped me open accounts in the past by stating that he is my employer. My question is do I have any legal right to palimony or assistance according to the laws of Texas?

Did he ever, in writing, or otherwise promise to take care of you or provide you with benefits? You mentioned a domestic partnership. Was that ever formally recorded or that is what you considered it as while living together?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Domestic partnership was never formally recorded. He did have me in his will but I do not know any details on that. And he always told me that if we were to end the relationship, he would make sure I was well taken care of until I could get stable on my own. Possibly some of those things in writing on holiday cards or letters of apology after an argument. I did keep all of those cards so I would have to check them.

f you can find any such promises in writing, then you could arguably have a claim for palimony and support. But the issue with palimony is not the same as with spousal benefits. Palimony for the most part has to be voluntarily provided, offered, and assumed by the parties. Otherwise under law it does not matter how long you were together, you are still legally considered to be 'legal strangers' and nothing more than roommates. This goes for any domestic partnership, if there is nothing in writing, nothing recorded, and no direct written promises or obligations, then there is no obligation to provide assistance. Hence, it is in your best interest to scour your documentation to see if he ever made promises pertaining to financial support, and whether such a promise would have been considered as something you would reasonably rely upon. Otherwise when you two ended up going your separate ways, there is no further financial (or any) obligation that you would owe to each other.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions