How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102191
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HELLO mi name is XXXXX XXXXX i get marriage in richmond

This answer was rated:

HELLO mi name is XXXXX XXXXX i get marriage in richmond , va on the 2004. and i live in mexico already . actually i get divorce recently the tramit of divorce was here in mexico and the judge tell me before to can do the registration of divorce in mexico he need i do the registration of divorce in usa in the same state where i get marriage before so tht mean in virginia. so i can do it by myself??? what documents i need??? i send it to which office??
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

Normally, there is no need to register a divorce in USA, Virginia or otherwise, unless for the purpose of enforcing the divorce later on in that state.

By operation of law, the divorce is normally automatically recognized, provided that the system used in the divorce gives both parties rights before a neutral magistrate and the system does not 'shock the conscience' of the US court. In short, if there is 'comity' of law. Hilton v. Guyot, 159 U.S. 113, 163-64 (1895).

One does not need to register in Virginia, per se, even if this is where you were married. One would register in whatever state you would be living in in the USA.

But let us say you move back to Virginia.

The way to register the divorce (if one still wants) is to file a Complaint to Register Foreign Judgment with the Circuit Court in the county where you live (if you live there). If you live in Mexico now, then it is not even possible to do this until/unless one lives in Virginia (or whatever state one will be filing this in).

This generally requires an attorney, although it is not mandatory. However, filing this petition is complex and counsel is recommended.

But again - this is NOT REQUIRED to file - only if one wishes to ENFORCE a matter under the divorce.

Otherwise, the divorce is automatically recognized.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Buena Suerte.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions