How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28323
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pay child support for two teenagers, 15 and 17, $1120/month,

This answer was rated:

I pay child support for two teenagers, 15 and 17, $1120/month, which is 27% of my monthly fixed income. The oldest one called last night and informed me that herself and her sister need to have there wisdom teeth out and it is my responsibility, as her father, to pay 46% of the cost. The support I pay every month never goes to my childrens well being and this is not the first time my children have been used denied medical servies because of my ex-wifes incompetence and naglegt. What are my options?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Do you know why she called you and said that you need to pay 46% of the cost? Is this in the court order? Also, what type of neglect and incompetence are you referring to, in regard to your ex? Typically, wisdom teeth come in and need to be removed at a certain age, so I am just trying to get an idea of the situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She called me because she is constantly bombarded with lies about me not paying my fair share of their medical cost.

Thank you for the additional information. The child support order is going to control and if the $1120 per month which you are ordered to pay goes to their basic needs and includes dental and other medical services, then you are under no legal obligation to pay any more. If the mother seeks additional money, she would need to take you back to court and have it ordered by the Judge. In a situation like this, you can share with your 17 year old, that you do pay the ordered child support each month and she should speak with her mother, if there are issues as to where the money is going and what it is being spent on. The mother should not be putting either child in the middle and should speak with you directly to address any issues involving the child or support being paid. As long as the child support order indicates that the monthly payment will cover all obligations/costs, then you should not have to pay anything else, unless you want to do so, voluntarily.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I get a copy of the child support order?

The order would be contained within the court file. As such, you would need to go to the court house where it was issued/signed by the Judge and speak with the clerk of court, who can pull the file and make you a copy. You can also ask to view the file, to make sure there is nothing else contained within, that may or may not specifically require the payment of medical expenses, outside of child support.
FamilyAnswer and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you