How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27642
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in Hawaii in 1994. My question surrounds the

This answer was rated:

I was divorced in Hawaii in 1994. My question surrounds the Adult Child Support. My Divorce Decree reads as follows: PRE-SCHOOL, PRIVATE SCHOOL AND HIGHER EDUCATION. The parties shall jointly share the children's tuition for elementary school and high schools, and the Childrens' college tuition, room, board and books.
There is also language that i pay child support until the age of 23 years old provided the child is enrolled in a full time accredited college.
My question is this. Does my obligation for paying the college tuition end with his 4 year graduation from University? Or am i to pay for post graduate education also? I pretty sure my language is boiler plate for Hawaii at the time. This must have been tested or settled in the last 20 years. Please help
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

If child attends post-high school institution full-time then child support continues and is subject to termination upon the first to occur of: child no longer attending post-high school institution full-time; child graduating from post–high school institution; or, child attaining age 23 (even if child is still attending post-high school institution full-time). As such, once the child graduates after 4 years, your obligation would cease and you would not be required to pay for graduate school.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions