How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118236
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If, during my divorce trial of which I was pro se, I told the

This answer was rated:

If, during my divorce trial of which I was pro se, I told the judge that I had a pending disability claim and earned $0.00. However, ex-husband testified/lied that I still earned 100k (which I hadn't since five years prior to trial). 1 year later the disability issued a ruling, fully favorable, 100% retroactive to prior to trial and Final Judgment. Same county (different courts) but absolute direct conflict in COURT ORDERs. Time-barred from appeal of judgment and tried to vacate the judgment. Question: Based upon 2 courts of competent jurisdiction whose Orders are in direct conflict - would this constitute a VOID judgment, a nullity despite waiver on appeal on same issue? (Appeal was pending but lawyer refused to raise issue and also time-barred from 2-year legal malpractice suit). Only remedy sought is non-waivable error that never is time-barred such as a VOID JUDGMENT. Thank you.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the divorce court issued their judgment before the disability judgment, their ruling is not really void or in conflict with the disability court judgment. If the divorce court denied you spousal support or there was some reduced child support based on the divorce court using your pre-disability judgment income, then your recourse in the divorce case is based on the significant change in financial circumstances to file a motion to modify support (but support is the only thing that could possibly be modified, since the disability ruling came after the divorce court judgment).

The court can change or modify any support awards to you based on the fact your financial situation has significantly changed based on your disability.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pleadings were stricken (trickery, unfounded) and appellate court issued PCA, without opinion. No awarded alimony. Homeless, while he swims in MY life savings to the tune of $3 mm.


Can I still seek "significant change in finances" - although it was 2 orders in "direct conflict" and there was NO "factual" change per my testimony at trial, unprovable until order on disability was retroactively rendered. the only "change" is that the Order validates ex-husband's perjury and MY factual testimony. So frustrated. Thank you.

Thank you for your response.

You can try to seek an order of alimony based on the change in circumstances if that has not already been foreclosed by your appeals.

Yes, I do know you are frustrated and are looking for some way to get what you believe you deserve. You do need to get a local attorney to review the court order issued in the divorce and get them to determine ultimately whether you can meet the evidentiary requirement to show the change in circumstances to raise the award of alimony to you. This may be the only thing you have left to try and your local attorney should review the case files and orders to make sure it is available to you so they can get it filed.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you