How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I and my wife were involved in a divorce in Las Vegas.

This answer was rated:

I and my wife were involved in a nasty divorce in Las Vegas. She is a Consultant Pediatrician and I was unemployed at that time. Now I am a Lecturer.
She submitted falsified documents to the court about job offers for me. In actuality there were no job offers.
She also obtained my medical records from my doctor without my consent.
Are these activities normal and legal?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

How long ago did the divorce take place? I ask to try to figure out if this is something that could be pursued under statutes of limitations. Also, what do you hope to accomplish--are you seeking this information purely for knowledge, or are you planning on somehow contesting the divorce decree. If so, what are wishing to contest?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The divorce took place approximately in 1994. I do not feel that criminal activities are protected by the statute of limitations.

I am looking for financial compenstion. I am also hoping to get her disbarred from practicing medicine in Nevada.


I found out about the crime recently. My brother that falsified the documents died and my other brother who helped him informed me of the falsified documents when he came to visit me from Canada (in March of this year.)

I live in Australia. My brother lives in Canada. I used to live in Las Vegas, Nevada.

I knew of this from the time our divorce started. My wife obtined a house loan by lying on the application form. She had a court judgment against her in Canada. She said that there were no such judgments.




My apologies but most states do have a statute of limitations on criminal activities. While that differs from state to state, the only felony that has no statute of limitations is murder. Otherwise misdemeanors have a 2 year statute for 'gross misdemeanors' (more serious offenses) and a 1 year statute for regular misdemeanors. Under Sections 171.080 et seq, most felonies have a 3 year statute other than theft, robbery, arson, burglary, forgery, or sexual assault, which have a 4 year statute. Since this happened 19 years ago, this is not something that is actionable today, at least not criminally. Furthermore, if you have had knowledge of her lying in 1994 but did not pursue it, even under discovery that is not something that can be pursued now. At most you can contact the Nevada Board of Medicine, provide your evidence, request an investigation, and see if they are willing to remove her, but I do not see this as something the courts would handle for you due to the extreme time delay. You could potentially claim fraud based on just being informed of the violation and pursue a civil suit against her for damages but even that is going to be fairly up-hill. You would need to retain counsel to do so and file suit against her in the county where she resides. Plus, the attorney would need to convince the judge to allow this based on the statute being 'stayed' as the offense was just recently found. You would need to supply evidence, this is not something that could be pursued without any sort of proof on your end.


Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will I be able to find an attorney who will take up this matter. I will pay upto 60 % of whatever I win if any?


If Yes, how?



I cannot guarantee that any attorney would take this case because it is almost 20 years old. If anyone would take it, it would not be on contingency but would request a retainer. To find counsel that may be able to assist and potentially negotiate with you, consider browsing the listings at and There you can search by fees, location, experience, and expertise.


Good luck to you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not know of the crime at that time. Do the statute of limitations still apply from the time of commission of the crime?



Typically the statute runs from the time of commission, although in some instances there is the ability to freeze the statute and allow it start counting down from the date of notice. Even so the notice is based on when someone would have 'reasonably' found out about the offense, which may or may not when you found out. Practically speaking, I do not see the courts, the police, or the DA's office pursue this after 20 years, and pursuing it civilly is far more likely to be successful.


Good luck and please take care!

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you