How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30375
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am taking my ex-husband back to court in order to

This answer was rated:


I am taking my ex-husband back to court in order to not have to pay child support. I am in a bad situation financially, and declared bankruptcy yesterday. My lawyer said that I shouldn't have to pay child support since I'm on disability and my ex gets money from them every month. He has sole legal and physical custody.

At the last court hearing on this matter, my ex's lawyer said he "gifted" over 100,000 to a friend recently. Am I entitled to any of that money? My ex is German and his friends and entire family are in Germany. My feeling is that he did that to keep the money out of my hands and sent it to his parents or friends in Germany. It doesn't seem fair.
Please advise. Thanks ps. We live in Fairfax County, VA

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

How long have you been divorced? Do you have any reason to believe that this is money that he had while you were married?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lucy,


I've been divorced for nearly 3 years and I do think that money was set aside during the marriage. My ex was very secretive about finances and I don't think he could have accrued that kind of monyey in 3 yrs.

Thank you.

Code of Virginia, § 8.01-428 allows a party to move to reopen a judgment based on fraud of an adverse party. If you can prove that he accumulated or hid the money while you were married, and that he should have disclosed it during the divorce but didn't, then you may be entitled to claim half of it (and whatever other money he might have hidden). That could include asking him questions about where he got the money, or conducting a review of bank account statements and other financial documents.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you