Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

if appointed executive of an estate how long do you have to

if appointed executive of an estate how long do you have to get it done for probate?
Also if you have life residency can you rent the house out instead of staying in it?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

1) There is no "standard" time for probate. Since every case is different, it depends on the estate. For smaller and/or uncontested estates, the probate can take several months (5-6 is average). For larger and/or contested estates, it can take more than a year, since it essentially turns in a lawsuit.

The onus is on the executor to move as efficiently as possible. A beneficiary can file a motion to ask the Court to order the executor to speed things up, and/or be removed, if they do not, as relief if the estate is going too slow.

2) A life estate allows an individual to use the property as though it were theirs - for life. This means pretty much anything they wish to do with it as long as they (a) do not sell it and/or (b) commit waste (damage the property). As such, a life estater can indeed rent out the property and this is not uncommon. Unless the life estate deed instrument that grants the life estate specifically prohibits it (and this would be rare), it should not be an issue.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)