How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello there....I recently came into a small amount of money

This answer was rated:

Hello there....I recently came into a small amount of money (inheritance) my father passed away in may of this year and left me some. However I still owe about $12, 000 in back child support(arrears) . Since I recieved my inheritance I have been making my monthly payments and more. Yesterday I made a payment arrangement with DSCE to get my suspended license reinstated for $ forward to this morning I went to my back to get a money order for the amount and the teller said my account was on hold and that I would have to appeal the hold by contacting a hold officer in child support. I really don't know what to do since I have not worked in months and this is the only savings I have to pay for bills,rent, food, child daycare, etc. Since I have recieved the money I have been making payments....I am a single father and don't know why they would put a lien on my account....if there is anyone out there that can help I would be forever grateful
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that your account was put on hold. That happens to be fairly standard procedure when you are under arrears and as yet there was no payment plan in place. What, if anything, have you tried to remove the hold?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for responding! My case worker just gave me a fax number to the hold officer and to send an explanation on why i should have the hold undone and thats all she told me to do eventhough they put the hold on the 15th of october and I made arrangement to pay a large sum today of $1,400.00. I guess my question is if they dont undo the lien do I need a lawyer. I havent a job and no income other than my savings which is 5,000 that has the hold on it.

Thank you for your follow-up, Brandon.


I will do my best to helps if I can. To answer directly, while you do not need an attorney to remove the lien hold, an attorney would be highly useful in this instance because typically removing a hold can be a fairly long-term process (meaning it can take you 1-2 months for a judge to even hear the petition, or have the agency review the hold if you do not pursue it as an emergency hearing). Typically, however, you can handle this on your own. There are two ways to pursue this. First, you would need to contact the agency directly and appeal for removal--the best way to accomplish this is to provide proof and evidence that you have been making regular payments and/or that there was a mutually agreed upon payment plan which you were pursuing in good faith. The other option would require counsel--you would instead need t go to court and file an emergency petition requesting that the judge order the lifting of the lien based on hardship. It would be wise to try the first option and if it does not work, then pursue the second.


Hope that helps!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. With your advice I think I might have a good chance of getting it turned over. Excellent service...first timer wont be the last.thanks again


I truly appreciate hearing that and I wish you the best. Should you need me again, please start your subsequent questions "For Dimitry..." and I will be happy to answer them for you directly. Otherwise, if satisfied, kindly do not forget to positively rate so that I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you again!
Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you