How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been trying to contact my daughters father for a month

This answer was rated:

I have been trying to contact my daughter's father for a month now. He refuses to answer his phone or return my calls. In our court ordered child support agreement, he (non-custodial parent) is to carry her medical and dental insurances and pay 80% of what insurance does not cover. He carries her medical insurance through the military (Tricare) and I carry her dental because he simply didn't want to do the extra paperwork. Now our daughter needs braces and I have been trying to contact him via phone because I do not know his address nor what duty station is is attached to, because I would like him to add her to his dental plan as well. What do you suggest I do to get him to comply with the court order. Mind you, his child support is up to date and withdrawn automatically from his paycheck but he has not seen her in 16months, nor called her since December 25, 2012. I am at my wits end and need a bit of advice. help!

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for you to ask any additional questions you may have if you feel the question has not been answered. Also, IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger, I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.


What court entered the order that he had to provide dental and pay 80% of uncovered costs??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jacksonville, FL. He lived there and Iowa petitioned the state of FL

Ok, thanks. You will need to file a Motion for Contempt against him. You can file it with the court in Florida but if he no longer lives there or you don't know where he lives, you can transfer the case to the IA family law court by filing a petition to domesticate the court order in IA. IA would then take jurisdiction of the case and will have a hearing for him to show the court why he is not in contempt. He is in contempt by not following the court order. You can also hold him in contempt for failing to provide the dental insurance. His not wanting to do the paperwork is no excuse and he is still in contempt.


You cannot however force him to see the child or contact the child. Even though he has visitation rights, it is up to him to exercise them and a court can never compel a parent to exercise visitation rights. I would urge you to hire an attorney to file contempt for you. He can be served through the military branch he is in or through publication in the newspaper in the county he last lived in. He could also face disciplinary action by the military by failing to follow your court order, so this has implications on his career as well. IF you get an attorney he can be made to pay your attorney fees for forcing you to have to go to court to compel him to do what he has already been ordered to do. I hope this helps clarify.


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law or whether you dislike the answer) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. If you feel I have not earned a positive rating, please give me a chance to do so. Keep in mind even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. We are not paid a salary here and positive ratings encourage experts to answer future questions. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: To Georgetown Lawyer on the subject line. Thank you!

GeorgetownLawyr and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you