How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34982
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

since I am 19, and my father owes child support for all 5 of

This answer was rated:

since I am 19, and my father owes child support for all 5 of his kids, could I claim child support from him? even when he doesn't have a job?
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

That is true (that is, your grandfather was accurate when he stated you can not claim you own support)/

Child support is designed, and is part of the law, to allow supplemental income to the parent raising the child. So in your case, the support (for you) would go to your mom. That is how the order (the court order) is written. It orders (in your case) the father pay the mother.

There is no way to request that the support be paid to the child directly.

Now...if, for example, you were to take custody of one of the younger children (say your mom was not capable for some reason or another)? In such a case, as part of the court order granting you custody of the child, you could ask the court to order the father to pay you directly. This would be possible.

But not to yourself for the support designed for you

Sorry to have to bear bad news.

Let me know if you have more questions, happy to help if I can
P. Simmons and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you