How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16630
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of our sons is in a very bad home situation. In

This answer was rated:

A friend of our son's is in a very bad home situation. In fact, she and her sister lived with us last summer for 3 months because they did not have electricity and therefore, no running water and DYFS became involved. The girls were put in our care as "Family Friends". She turns 18 in January and wants to move out of her home. She would like to come live with us. She will be going to college in the fall as she is a senior in high school. We would like to become her legal guardians so she could be put on our medical insurance. We live in NJ. Is this possible and what are the other legal ramifications? Thank you for your time.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately, once the girl turns 18, she would be considered a legal adult and would not require any type of legal guardianship to be established, but also it would not be possible to include her on your medical insurance, since she is an adult and is not legally adopted by you.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alex, thank you for your reply. I am assuming that her mother would have to terminate her legal rights in order for us to adopt the girl before she turns 18. Then, once adopted, she would enjoy all benefits as do our birth children.


That is correct, but it takes time to get adoption petition filed and approved, so it would be important for you to consult and retain local adoption law attorney as soon as possible to help your review and if feasible pursue the legal adoption option.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions