GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
46665915

Me and my wife are India currently on green card in USA. We

Me and my wife are India currently on green card in USA. We have 2 kids. I want to know if god forbid something happens to me and my wife where we both die, how is the custody of our kids determied? We do not have any relatives here in USA. Can my parents in India or my Sibling in india can take my kids custody? If the answer is "No" or "difficult", how do I make sure it happens smoothly ? Do we need to have a will where we mention this ?

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for you to ask any additional questions you may have if you feel the question has not been answered. Also, IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger, I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

That is exactly correct. You will have to put it in your will who should assume guardianship of your children if you both die otherwise they can end up in foster care. The authorities will not look outside the u.s. for relatives for the kids, so you have to set it up in your will to be safe and also that you are willing to allow the kids to be taken to India to live with whatever relative you choose. I hope this helps clarify.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law or whether you dislike the answer) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. If you feel I have not earned a positive rating, please give me a chance to do so. Keep in mind even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. We are not paid a salary here and positive ratings encourage experts to answer future questions. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: To Georgetown Lawyer on the subject line. Thank you!