How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filling out my uncontested/ no children final decree to

This answer was rated:

I am filling out my uncontested/ no children final decree to take to court. The only community property is 13 acres that I purchased prior to getting married, but then refinanced loan after I got married. She doesn't want any of it. Will the judge in brazoria county ask for any other forms other than the decree concerning the land?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

What state are you in, please?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, friend.

I hope you are enjoying the good weather we have today in the Lone Star State.

Will the judge in brazoria county ask for any other forms other than the decree concerning the land?

The Judge? No. They will generally sign off on the proposed Decree of Divorce provided that you and your soon-to-be ex also pre-sign it.

However, the Decree is not going to be enough to get the property into your name, per se. One should ask her to:

1) Sign a QUITCLAIM DEED that then gives her interest to you, and file the deed. If she refuses, the Court can force her to do so in the future; BUT

2) Some lenders have a clause in the mortgage contract that ACCELERATES the mortgage if any interest is sold/quitclaimed. One should check with the lender to make sure that this shall NOT be an issue. Assuming not, then the quitclaim may be signed and filed. If there is, then the Divorce decree acts as an non-standard instrument/document giving you 100% rights to the land in theory and which would be enforceable but simply nor recorded with the deed records; until the mortgage is paid off and then her signing the quitclaim deed will not upset your (now paid-off) mortgage.

3) If there IS no mortgage, then obviously step 2 does not apply and step 1 should be fine.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you