How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28385
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What rights do I have as a grandparent in MI, when my granddaughter

This answer was rated:

What rights do I have as a grandparent in MI, when my granddaughter is in AL. The mother of the child has cut off all communication with me since June. My granddaughter is 11 and my son does pay child support. Although, my son has not seen his daughter in 4 years. Thank you.
Connie Newbound [email protected]
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In a situation like this, you would need to petition the court and have it ordered that visitation be allowed. I have provided the code below, which controls and states the requirements and conditions which must be met. Typically, your son would seek visitation of the child and when he has her, arrange for you to see the child as well. However, if he is not involved, then you would need to take it upon yourself, to petition the court for visitation. You do have rights and would need to exercise them, since the mother is preventing you from having any relationship with the child.

ALA CODE § 30-3-4.1 : Alabama Code - Section 30-3-4.1: GRANDPARENT VISITATION

(a) For the purposes of this section, the term "grandparent" means the parent of a parent of a minor child, the parent of a minor child's parent who has died, or the parent of a minor child's parent whose parental rights have been terminated when the child has been adopted pursuant to Section 26-10A-27, 26-10A-28, or 26-10A-30, dealing with stepparent and relative adoption.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any grandparent may file an original action for visitation rights to a minor child if it is in the best interest of the minor child and one of the following conditions exist:
(1) When one or both parents of the child are deceased.
(2) When the marriage of the parents of the child has been dissolved.
(3) When a parent of the child has abandoned the minor.
(4) When the child was born out of wedlock.
(5) When the child is living with both biological parents, who are still married to each other, whether or not there is a broken relationship between either or both parents of the minor and the grandparent and either or both parents have used their parental authority to prohibit a relationship between the child and the grandparent.
(c) Any grandparent may intervene in and seek to obtain visitation rights in any action when any court in this state has before it any question concerning the custody of a minor child, a divorce proceeding of the parents or a parent of the minor child, or a termination of the parental rights proceeding of either parent of the minor child, provided the termination of parental rights is for the purpose of adoption pursuant to Sections 26-10A-27, 26-10A-28, or 26-10A-30, dealing with stepparent or relative adoption.
(d) Upon the filing of an original action or upon intervention in an existing proceeding pursuant to subsections (b) and (c), the court shall determine if visitation by the grandparent is in the best interests of the child. Visitation shall not be granted if the visitation would endanger the physical health of the child or impair the emotional development of the child. In determining the best interests of the child, the court shall consider the following:
(1) The willingness of the grandparent or grandparents to encourage a close relationship between the child and the parent or parents.
(2) The preference of the child, if the child is determined to be of sufficient maturity to express a preference.
(3) The mental and physical health of the child.
(4) The mental and physical health of the grandparent or grandparents.
(5) Evidence of domestic violence inflicted by one parent upon the other parent or the child. If the court determines that evidence of domestic violence exists, visitation provisions shall be made in a manner protecting the child or children, parents, or grandparents from further abuse.
(6) Other relevant factors in the particular circumstances, including the wishes of any parent who is living.
(e) The court shall make specific written findings of fact in support of its rulings. An original action requesting visitation rights shall not be filed by any grandparent more than once during any two-year period and shall not be filed during any year in which another custody action has been filed concerning the child. After visitation rights have been granted to any grandparent, the legal custodian, guardian, or parent of the child may petition the court for revocation or amendment of the visitation rights, for good cause shown, which the court, in its discretion, may grant or deny. Unless evidence of abuse is alleged or other exceptional circumstances, a petition shall not be filed more than once in any two-year period.
(f) If the court finds that the grandparent or grandparents can bear the cost without unreasonable financial hardship, the court, at the sole expense of the petitioning grandparent or grandparents, may appoint a guardian ad litem for the minor child.
(g) Notwithstanding the foregoing, a grandparent may not be granted visitation with a grandchild where the parent related to the grandparent has either given up legal custody voluntarily or by court order or has abandoned the child financially unless the grandparent has an established relationship with the child and the court finds that visitation with the grandparent is in the best interests of the child.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I go about finding a lawyer in AL that can petition the court? I am not sure how to find a good/honest one out of MI.

Connie, thank you for the follow up. You can locate and attorney on or You may also contact the AL Bar Association
FamilyAnswer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you