How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you remove yourself from a power of attorney?

This answer was rated:

How do you remove yourself from a power of attorney?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

Please tell me what is the reason for wanting to be removed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My wife's mother is no cooperating with her and is doing things that could get my wife in trouble.


I see.

Thank you for that information.

Im not sure what kind of trouble you think your wife can get into at the actions of her Mother because the POA only is used once the Mother becomes incapacitated.

However, with that being said the POA usually has a provision of how to rescind it. Generally, it would required written notice to the Mother stating that she no longer wants to be the POA . The Notice should be mailed certified mail with a return receipt requested

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a durable POA with broad powers that in essence state among other things that the agent will maintain the principle's standard of living respective of her income. The mother has rented a trailer with no running water, no kitchen and no toilet for as much as it would cost her to rent a room with all of those things available. She is an alcoholic , 75 years old with quickly diminishing capacity unable to understand that in order for her daughter to help her she has to cooperate. We are concerned that the way she has chosen to live could mean a breach of fiduciary duty on her daughter's behalf.


Well, if she is so mentally incapacitated, your wife can still handle her finances. Even if her Mother does not want to move. The POA can only do what she can do. You can't force the Mother to live in a way that is safest, only request it. But the POA is there if once the Mother becomes totally mentally unable to make financial decisions or medical decisions the POA does that for her.

But if your wife is uncomfortable then she needs to mail the written Notice. Once that is done, however, know that the Mother would have to sign another if your wife changes her mind and the Mother would have to be of sound mind to do that or it will be questioned.

Samuel II and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you