How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16713
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 yr old niece and her 16 month old daughter just moved

This answer was rated:

My 18 yr old niece and her 16 month old daughter just moved in with my family 2 months ago. Since that time we have seen neglect by her mom and she has told me about serious neglect that she had done to my niece just prior to living with us. I am concerned because she now is moving back to the old situation with her daughter. Do I have any rights in the state of oregon to help my great niece? And she is moving to another state in just 4 days, is there anything I can do in that time to help the baby?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, since your niece is an adult and has parental right and custody of her 16 months old baby, the only thing that you can legally do is to report any child abuse of neglect to the police and state child protective services and they will investigate your reports, but unfortunately aside from reporting any child abuse or neglect to authorities there would not be any other legal rights that you would have when it comes your adult niece or her 16 months old baby.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions