How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters husband has been attending Brown-Macke college

This answer was rated:

My daughter's husband has been attending Brown-Macke college in Fort Wayne, IN but has not obtained an degree yet nor does it appear that he ever will. His student loan debt is sizeable probably in the $50,000 to $60,000 range. She is considering a divorce. They have no assets at all except a worn-out old car and broken down furniture. Is his student loan debt martial property or his alone. She is not a cosigner on any of these loans.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your daughter's difficult situation.

Indiana is not a community property state, so any debt that your daughter's husband incurred in his name alone and for his own sole educational benefit would be considered his individual debt for the purposes of the divorce process.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you