How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our divorce was final 12/94 with Equitable Distribution. There

This answer was rated:

Our divorce was final 12/94 with Equitable Distribution. There was a QDRO against my pension for my ex where she was to get 70% of my pension. The agreement between the sides was that my attorney would draft the document and her attorney would file it. Well, the document was never filed and it is my understanding that there is a statute of limitations that this had to be filed within 2 years of the 12/94 date. Well, 19 years later, she wants me to file the QDRO but I see no reason to do that. I have already started taking the pension early at a reduced rate. It was her side that failed to file the document that my attorney provided within 30 days of 12/94. Therefore, I feel that I don't need to do anything. If she had recourse, it should be against her legal firm although she fired them and told them not to spend any money on anything which I believe is why the QDRO was never filed. What do you think?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It seems the PA Superior Court addressed a similar issue in a NON-PRECEDENTIAL case, meaning you could not consider citing this for anything ( See: Kepler v. Kepler (Pa. Super. Ct., 2013) ) . The court held in a case where the one spouse was supposed to submit the QDRO and failed to do so and returned 19 years later (coincidence with your time period only) that :

In any event, it should be noted that the four year statute of limitations does not apply to continuing contracts such as this PSA. "In the case of continuing contracts, such as post nuptial agreements, where the duties of the parties are ongoing, the statute of limitations generally does not run." See: Crisco v. Crisco, 909 A.2d 308 at 315 (Pa. Super. Ct., 2006). Crisco also states that when a contract is continuing, if applicable, "the statute of limitations will run either from the time when the breach occurs or when the contract is in some way terminated." Id. at 313. It appears that the order to issue a QDRO is a continuing order and it would mean she could still file it. There is also no statute of limitations in federal law to file a QDRO under ERISA.

You need to take your court order to your attorney, since he is the one best familiar with your case to make a proper evaluation based on the specific facts of your case.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has gone to an attorney and they advised her to try to get me to voluntarily give her something. His comment was that since she was the one who told her attorney to spend no more money and therefore prevented her attorneys from completing their part of the agreement, she was responsible for creating the breach and that they would very likely not have a good outcome. So, she is using this other approach asking me for something. Since she already has had a negative response from an attorney I thought it best to let dead dogs lie. He also said that they could spend $10K+ easily to take this to court and that she could never recover the legal costs from me since the action was based on her orders to her former attorneys. Your thoughts on that? Should I just let it lie and only make some type of offer if she takes legal action.

Thank you for your response and additional information.

The same thing happened in the court case above so your facts are very similar to those cases. As the case is not precedential, there is a potential she could lose her case and while she might not be able to win legal fees against you, she might still get the pension award if the court follows that non-prescedential case which they are not legally bound to do.

70% is a high amount of your pension and it might be best to wait to see if she is really going to try to file suit and then make some offer through your attorney to get a written agreement with her to take a lump sum payment in lieu of continuing to pursue the pension and incur legal fees because it was her fault the QDRO was never filed. You should always discuss your decision with your attorney before finalizing it.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you