How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can I as a legal spouse register and title vehicle bought in

This answer was rated:

can I as a legal spouse register and title vehicle bought in my husbands name in my name?

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for you to ask any additional questions you may have if you feel the question has not been answered. Also, IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger, I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.


So the title is currently in your husband's name?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no title or registration has been applied for. it was purchased a week ago and has not been submitted to registar of deeds. he financed it through his lender in his name.

This is South Dakota?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it has not been submitted to registar of deeds for title yet. The loan on the vehicle is in his name. He purchased it as a weeding present to me. I want to go to court house and register it in my name and get license plates and registration.

Typically the dealer ship submits the title work, if they did not and your husband has to do it he has to show who the owner of the vehicle is and since his name is XXXXX XXXXX sales document registration would have to be in his name. If he can sign the title over to you, then you can register the vehicle in your name. You being the spouse doesn't allow you to do this. YOu either have to be shown as the purchaser of the vehicle or on the title. I would also contact your DMV to see what they would require. Oh and because there is a lien holder (he borrowed the money so they will have a lien and their name will be on the title as well) your husband may not be able to transfer the title to you until the loan is paid off, but again please verify with your DMV. I hope this helps clarify.


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law or whether you dislike the answer) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. If you feel I have not earned a positive rating, please give me a chance to do so. Keep in mind even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: To Georgetown Lawyer on the subject line. Thank you!

GeorgetownLawyr and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions