How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16625
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if my daughters father opted not to sign the birth certificate

This answer was rated:

if my daughter's father opted not to sign the birth certificate because his girlfriend told him she wanted him to have a DNA test before signing, but he knew the baby was his and told me the day before that he would sign the birth certificate, and then chose not to come see his daughter after we were released from the hospital, but now saying he wants to take me to court to fight for his daughter....what exactly would he be fighting for at this point? and would he have a solid or valid case? (daughter is almost 3 months old)
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

The father can file a petition to establish paternity and if the baby determined to be his biological child through DNA testing, than the paternity would be established and the father would be able to file petition with the court to establish custody / visitation for his daughter.

However, if the petition to establish paternity is approved and DNA shows that this man is a biological father of your baby, you will also be able to pursue petition for child support payments and as long as, you have the residential custody of your baby and child resides with you, you will be able to collect child support from the father.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it not considered abandonment?


Thank you for your follow up.

No. It would not be considered to be an abandonment for the father not to sign the birth certificate, until the DNA test can be done to establish paternity.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions