How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102145
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have legal guardianship of my grandson who

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have legal guardianship of my grandson who is now 14. My daughter, the mother just went to court to establish paternity with the father. Testing proved he is indeed the father which everyone knew in the first place. I provided the court with my guardianship papers and stated that my husband and I will not seek child support from the father as long as we remain the legal guardians of the child. The father has never been involved nor has he ever given one dime to help support this child or attempted to see him throughout the years. Now, all of a sudden he wants visitation rights. Our grandson has no desire to be acquainted with him or have him be a part of his life. We live in Indiana and are concerned that we will have to hire an attorney for the visitation issue. Being 14, would the judge listen to what the child has to say? I would appreciate your thoughts.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your family's situation.

Being 14, would the judge listen to what the child has to say?

The answer is yes, although the Court may still grant visitation until the child is 18. Even if a parent does not get managing custody, they are almost guaranteed visitation unless they have a drug problem, alcohol dependency, or an unsafe home environment. Abuse and or neglect of the child or previous children are an almost automatic bar for even visitation, although supervised visitation may be granted by the Court.

There is even a Supreme Court decision where a Judge states that a child has to be dragged to the car "kicking and screaming" for visitation.

In short, barring potential of abuse/neglect, the father may still get visitation, I am afraid.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you