How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I came into the marriage with a house with equity, a car with

This answer was rated:

I came into the marriage with a house with equity, a car with equity and some cash. My husband came into the marriage with debt and a house underwater. Now getting divorced and his 15 year old step son lives with him ( i just moved out to a rental property). I have been told that i am not entitled to the house which is in Alabama since the 15 year old lives with him. The house has no money in it anyway, or the rental property in Colorado where we were originally from. But i thought in the state of Alabama i was entitled to what i came into the marriage with. So if he were to get the house in Alabama i should get the house in Colorado. Both houses are underwater, but at least if i had the house in Colorado it would be my own. Right now i have had to move out as he is abusive and am having to rent.


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing information for you in this regard.

Please clarify

1 - the house is still in your name only?

2 - where does the house in CO come in - did you own that prior to the marriage, too? and is it still only in your name, please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The house in Alabama we own jointly but the house in Colorado was his previous home. His name is XXXXX XXXXX title. I sold my home that i had in Colorado.


I see. Then you have nothing in that regard that is Non Marital unless the money you got from your CO home was placed in a single account in your name only.

Though you can negoiate and let him have the Alabama house and you take the CO house.

Samuel II and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions