Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in Mass. I have physical custody. If I want to send

I live in Mass. I have physical custody. If I want to send my child to Private School and Pay for it can my spouse prevent the child from attending?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

If I want to send my child to Private School and Pay for it can my spouse prevent the child from attending?

The answer is likely no.

By default, the primary custodian has the right to make educational decisions unless the custody orders state otherwise.

So first one may wish to check the custody orders to see if they require any "confirmation" or "vote" from the other parent. If so, then this overrides the default law allowing the primary custodian to choose. However, most divorce orders do not contain such a clause. Assuming that no such clause is in place, then the custodian parent (i.e. you) has the right to make such a decision for the child's education.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)