Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Does the Attorney Generals office normally do a RANDOM child

support audit without a third...
Does the Attorney Generals office normally do a RANDOM child support audit without a third party contact inquiring?
10/8/2013
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Ordinarily, the Texas Attorney General will review child support orders at the request of the custodial parent. The request can be made once every three years as a cost of living adjustment or when there is a material change in circumstances. Here is more information:
https://www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/parents/faq_modifications.shtml#1

The state is required to review the child support guidelines every four years and revise them as appropriate. It is not usual for the state to review individual cases and adjust support without anyone requesting it or providing information suggesting that there has been a material change.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I have the Attorney Generals office on the phone and they told me that they do a review every three years, and that I'm the only one that has to supply proof of income.

Either parent can go to court when circumstances change and request a modification. If you are in court, you can serve discovery requests upon the other party and insist that they provide proof of income and expenses.

The three year review should be a complete review, based on the income of both parents. The official published information all states that the review is done at the request of the custodial parent, not automatically. That doesn't mean that they cannot do it on their own initiative.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer