How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102191
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

first step to receive spousal support

This answer was rated:

first step to receive spousal support
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me:

1) Have you filed for divorce yet?
2) Do you plan to?
3) Or are you separated?
4) If separated, then formally or informally?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not filed for divorce
egal separation

Thank you, Ana.

Okay, I understand that legal separation has been filed with the Court.

Do you wish to know HOW to request spousal support, or, how it is decided? Or, both?

Also, what county is this in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not filed for legal separation
is that my firist step to reice spousal support

Thank you for clarifying, Ana.

Yes. Spousal support - often also called "alimony," can only be received once the parties are legally separated OR when there is a divorce filing pending and/or completed.

At that time, the Court will consider alimony. Alimony is subjective and is based on a case by case basis on a number of factors. The court shall consider all of the following circumstances: (a) the earning capacity of each party is sufficient to maintain the standard of living established during the marriage, taking into account all of the following: (a) earning capacity (b) the extent to which the supported party helped support the other party in gaining an education or maintaining a career. (c) The supporting party’s assets and ability to pay support. (d) the standard of living during the marriage. (e) The assets and separate property, of each party. (f) The length of the marriage. (g) The ability to gain employment without unduly interfering with the interests of dependent children in the custody of the party. (h) The age and health condition of the parties. (i) history of domestic violence between the parties, including, but not limited to, consideration of emotional distress resulting from domestic violence perpetrated against the supported party by the supporting party, and consideration of any history of violence against the supporting party by the supported party. (j) any tax consequences to each party. (k) The balance of the hardships to each party. (l) The goal that the supported party shall be self-supporting within a reasonable period of time. (California Code - Sections: 4320, 4324, 4330)

While every case is different, following trends and case law, a firm has developed an estimate calculator for California alimony which can be found here.

But again, to get this, a legal separation OR a divorce must be filed, first. See here for an explanation of how to do so.

An attorney is recommended. May I recommend the CA Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

If finances are an issue, I can possibly provide you with some pro bono OR low cost leads for representation - let me know if you need this by REPLYING.

Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions