How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has filed for divorce and now that she has cooled off

This answer was rated:

My wife has filed for divorce and now that she has cooled off she wants to stop the petition so that we can get counseling and save our marriage, but her lawyer says that she can't do this herself because she has already hired legal counsel. Is this true? We live in Montgomery County, TX.

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.


That is correct technically. Since she is represented by counsel the attorney would need to file the motion to withdraw but she can always write a letter and fire the attorney and file the motion to withdraw on her own. Of course the attorney will have to file a motion to withdraw as attorney of record with the court and after that motion is granted, your wife can then file the motion to withdraw the petition.


The other option is to pause the case indefinitely and that can be done by notifying the court the parties are attempting counseling and putting the case in abeyance indefinitely. It's an easy thing to do and if neither party files anything else, the case will just remain open for up to a year. This is a good option because it allows you to try to work things out and if things do not work out, you can just move the case forward and not have to file another $300+ for filing fees and service of a new petition and if the counseling works, you can then file a motion to withdraw at that time and close the case.


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law or whether you dislike the answer) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER on the subject line. Thank you!

GeorgetownLawyr and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Again,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,