How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16629
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know more about signing parental rights over

This answer was rated:

I want to know more about signing parental rights over
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

We do not provide any type of legal advice, but the service is limited to general answers to customer's question.

Can you please let me know what is your specific legal question for me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can i sign my parental rights over

What is the reason that you want to sign your parental rights over?

Also are you asking about termination of parental rights or giving your child up for a legal adoption?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I feel like my child would be better off with his father

Thank you for your follow up.

Are you the biological mother of the child?

How old is the child?

Are you aware that you will still have to pay child support for the child, even if you give up parental rights?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and he is nine. Even if i am the custiodial parent

Thank you for your follow up.

Are you asking if you can give up parental rights and still be a custodial parent?

Can you please clarify and provide me with more details, so I can better understand your situation?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your follow up.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son's father does not help me much with our son and he makes it hard for me to keep a place of employment. I just dont know what else to do, I really dont want to give up my rights.

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you want to voluntarily give up your parental rights and turn the custody of your son to the father?

I am not really clear as far as what you are trying to accomplish?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If i choose to voluntarily give up my rights I would have to pay him child support?


Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, if you voluntarily terminate your parental rights and the father will have sole legal custody of the child, not only you would loss any visitation or other rights to communicate with your child, but also you would be ordered to pay child support to the father.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you