Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I want to know more about signing parental rights over

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

We do not provide any type of legal advice, but the service is limited to general answers to customer's question.

Can you please let me know what is your specific legal question for me?

How can i sign my parental rights over

What is the reason that you want to sign your parental rights over?

Also are you asking about termination of parental rights or giving your child up for a legal adoption?

I feel like my child would be better off with his father

Thank you for your follow up.

Are you the biological mother of the child?

How old is the child?

Are you aware that you will still have to pay child support for the child, even if you give up parental rights?

Yes and he is nine. Even if i am the custiodial parent

Thank you for your follow up.

Are you asking if you can give up parental rights and still be a custodial parent?

Can you please clarify and provide me with more details, so I can better understand your situation?

Thanks.

yes

Thank you for your follow up.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

My son's father does not help me much with our son and he makes it hard for me to keep a place of employment. I just dont know what else to do, I really dont want to give up my rights.

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you want to voluntarily give up your parental rights and turn the custody of your son to the father?

I am not really clear as far as what you are trying to accomplish?

If i choose to voluntarily give up my rights I would have to pay him child support?

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, if you voluntarily terminate your parental rights and the father will have sole legal custody of the child, not only you would loss any visitation or other rights to communicate with your child, but also you would be ordered to pay child support to the father.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law