How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I leave my 17 year old home for a couple of months while

This answer was rated:

Can I leave my 17 year old home for a couple of months while I travel abroad for work?


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

The answer is yes - however, I suggest, you must be very sure that the minor fully understands the rules and that if he/she gets in to any trouble while you are away you can be charged with negligence depending on the circumstances.

So, in other words, there is no law that prohibits leaving the 17 year old alone for an extended period of time - but there are laws that say if a child gets in trouble whether left alone or not a parent can be held responsible - criminally and also civilly

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does my responsibility and liability increase because I am away.
Or is it the same as if I were still in the home?


It does not increase your responsibilty or liabilty but it increases your risk

If you have family and/or friends who can check in on them that decreases your risk.

Samuel II and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you