How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31768
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are contemplating a divorce and we have two small

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are contemplating a divorce and we have two small children. Is it possible for us to move to Nevada for six weeks and file there? We are agreeable with all terms of the spit and would be parting as friends.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Roger : There's a residency requirement in order to be able to file there.
Roger : In Nevada, the residency requirement is 6 weeks.

I read it was six weeks if no children and wondering how long if we have children. Also could only one of us live there? We are both expats and US citizens, but have not been in the US for 3 years.


Once filed can we leave and go abroad and wait for the final decree?

Roger : Thus, you could move there and stay there for six weeks and then file, but you'd likely have to remain there until the process is complete because if you left and established residency somewhere else, the Nevada court could lose jurisdiction.
Roger : At least one of you would have to maintain residency there.

This could be feasible for one of us to remain there. Do you know how long the entire process may take? Some states I understand require a year when you have children.

Roger : If uncontested, it would likely take 6-8 months.
Roger : There's no separate residency requirement for a divorcing couple with children.

Neither of us can stay more then 180 days in the US. If we kept a rented place there during this time, but left the country for work, would this be acceptable?


Does US accept a divorce done in Russia?

Roger : If neither if you object to jurisdiction, it should not be an issue.
Roger : I don't know if a divorce from Russia would be accepted in the US. I've never had that issue.

In regard to "If neither pf you object to jurisdiction, it should not be an issue", does this mean if we moved there and filed after six weeks, and kept the rented residency there, but left to work oversees it would "cut the mustard", if neither of us objected to the jurisdiction. Is this correct?

Roger : As long as no one objected, it should/could work.
Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you