Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I have a question about social security benefits. I was married,

I have a question about social security benefits. I was married, but divorced 20 years ago. When I get to retirement age, as I understand it I can collect under his name if we were married 10 years...as long as I don't marry again. We were not thinking of things like that when we filed. Does the "time married" mean from the date of filing, or the date that it is final, as it was final a month after our 10 year anniversary.
Thanks

Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

The answer is you are married until the date of the final decree - so it is when the decree is dated.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.