Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Sheriff tried to serve papers to father but couldnt reach him.

He has agreed to come...
Sheriff tried to serve papers to father but couldnt reach him. He has agreed to come forward instead, and go through the court. What step do we do next. Does he sign any papers. Does he have to be served the papers. Do we send any signed papers to the court or does he? This is the state of maryland.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2013
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your situation? What type of papers are you referencing?

Child support complaint

I'll have to opt out since this is a family law question. Another expert will assist you shortly.

Thank you

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he is agreeing to go to court, then you need to have the father sign for service of the support petition/complaint saying he received the copy of the complaint and summons and you need to file the proof of service with the clerk of court. This is necessary to prove he received notice of the suit and then it is up to him to answer the suit and he will have to go to court to prove his income so that the court can set the child support in accordance with the child support guidelines.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.

Where do I have the father sign the papers. The paper work I have is a writ of summons and the child support complaint papers

Thank you for your response.

The summons has a section stating proof of service and that is where he would sign acknowledging service. You give him a copy of the summons and the complaint and you file the other copy of the summons with the proof of service signed by him with the clerk's office.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer