How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31688
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi i live in la and i have a child from chicago. i did not

This answer was rated:

hi i live in la and i have a child from chicago. i did not pay child support over there due to my financial commitment to my other kids in la. recently IL department of child services have frozen my personal checking account. bank has given me the phone number of the legal department in chicago to talk to them. i simply do not know what to do. I make a limited income and i have a large family in la. i would like to resolve this matter and i owe thousands of dollars for the back child support.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : The best thing to do is to contact the Illinois dept. of child services and try to work out an agreement to get this delinquency paid as it could result in civil or criminal charges.
Roger : Also, the debt isn't going away because there's no statue of limitations for child support orders entered after 1997 - - so it will remain outstanding until paid.

hi Roger, the order was entered on 1994.

Roger : Ok. In that case, there's a 20 year statute of limitations on the collection of child support under the order.
Roger : Here's a good link:

i tried to reduce the amount few years ago and hired an attorney and she was not able to do anything about it.


does it restart from the second time

Roger : You would just be relieved of 1 year at a time as the 20 year period would apply to each payment missed.

so does it mean that next year 20 year statue of limatitions would expire.


i am simply under financial pressure and would like to know what would be the best step to take.

Roger : Yes, for the money due in 1994......
Roger : But, the money due in 1995, would not expire until 2015, and so on.

i see


is there anyway to abate the interest

Roger : The best thing to do is to try and make an offer to repay the debt based on your income.

in what way.

Roger : If you were able to offer a lump sum payment, it may be possible to get rid of some of the interest, but if you can't do that, it's not likely that your interest would be abridged.
Roger : The best thing to do is contact the dept of child services and ask to try and reach an arrangement.

i have a condo that my family live in there. would you think if i would borrow some money against the home. would they take a settlement.

Roger : You'd have to ask if you made a lump sum payment whether they'd accept, and if so - - how much - -
Roger : Then you could try to gather funds to pay this off and put this behind yo.
Roger : *you.

is it done before and is it practical

Roger : Yes, this does happen, and you can try to get that done.

do you know if they would take 20 percent

Roger : No, I don't.
Roger : There's no guideline for this. It just depends on what the department is willing to accept, which is based on a case by case basis.

ok. but is it possible that they might take it?

Roger : Sure, it's possible - - especially on such an old debt.

the debt started on 1994 till 2007.

Roger and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Roger,

i have a follow up question regarding negotiating with illinois child support for the balance that I have. they have told me that they are going to send a modification form by the end of the month. could you tell me which number to call to be able to negotiate with them. thank you.

Hi -

I don't have a specific number to call. Instead, you'll just have to call the legal department and ask who you can speak to about settling your account.
Roger and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you