How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Custody hearing. If sole custody is granted and other parent

This answer was rated:

Custody hearing. If sole custody is granted and other parent has visits then does the child support go back into effect. It was in place with dad having to pay but judge granted shared physical custody. Not working. Mom irrational. Safety issues involved. Also, since dad has to come up with court costs to get mom back to court, what is her responsibility regarding those costs.

Thank you for your question. I am a Florida licensed attorney. My name is Ellen. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Are you asking whether a prior child support order would go back into effect when custody is changed? Please clarify
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dad paid child support then judge granted shared custody/ physical one week w/ dad, one w/ mom. holidays shared.

now dad going for sole custody. if mom loses would she have to pay child support and what is her part in paying court costs.

thank you .


Thank you for the clarification.

If the father is granted sole custody, child support would typically be reassessed. Florida guidelines considers both parents income as well as parenting time.

Typically if the father is granted sole custody, it would result in the mother paying child support to the father.

The court costs can be assessed to either party depending upon ability to pay and the reasons for the change

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mother has violated court order 4x by moving and not reporting address to court in 7 days.

She's changed pediatricians w.o. notifying the dad.

She was asked to leave ped ofc and ofc mgr told her would call cops if she didn't leave.

Has put child in danger numerous times.

Then had the nerve to invent story about dad and fam to gain leverage.

Wanted different case worker bc she claimed dad slept with her.

Case worker never saw the dad until that night.

Falsified DCF allegations but they were all dismissed.

She vanished with child when he was 9 mo and judge ordered her to not go outside this court order.

Dad is married 2 yrs now . good provider, stepmom treats child now 4 like her own.

How does a judge look at a mom like this ? Certainly not credible.

reason back to court was she's moved out of school district making it even harder for dad to be in child's life. boyfriend of the month with this mom.

she also stole a van, our fam has a judgment against her. judge ordered her to pay, she dribbled some payments 3 yrs ago and in your face stopped. what a gal !


Yikes. The judge would likely assess court costs against the mother. The father may consider requesting only supervised visitation for the mother. He may also consider asking the court to hold the mother in contempt for nonpayment pursuant to the order
Ellen and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you !


Thank you and I wish you the best with this difficult situation. Please ask for me if I can assist you again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Ellen !