How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27992
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of 32 years left 3 weeks ago with no notice. He

This answer was rated:

My husband of 32 years left 3 weeks ago with no notice. He told me he was going to Menards to get pool supplies and did not return. He had about $500 in his wallet. He did not take his cell phone.

I have not heard from him, have no idea whether he's dead or alive. There was absolutely no marital discord....we're empty-nesters, about 2 years from retirement, and seemed as though we were both quite happy.

I live in Kansas. He is already unemployed (for 4 years) and I am the sole bread winner. How do I protect my income, our home, our vehicles, and bank account? Should I file for separation?

This is a trauma unlike anything I've ever experienced.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Have you contacted the police and reported him missing? Has anyone you know heard from him?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has been reported as a missing person, and it's been all over the media state wide, and social media as well (I'm somewhat well known in the area as an author, professor, and speaker, so it was picked up rather quickly).


No one has heard from him or seen him.

Thank you for the additional information. This is certainly a scary situation. There is a difference between him just walking out on the marriage and a situation where something bad has happened to him. You stated above that there was no marital discord or reason to believe he would just leave, so it is certainly matter for the police to investigate, before taking any actions through the court. You can file for divorce and I have provided you a link with the forms that you can use, to start the process. Since he can not be found, it would likely have to be published on, so the Judge could proceed with the proceedings. If something happened to him, the items which you mentioned above would likely go to you, absent a will saying something contrary. If you ask to be awarded all those things in the divorce and it would have at the discretion of the Judge. The problem you are going to face is that this is a missing person case and the Judge may want to wait prior to signing anything and ordering the divorce. If you started to see money missing from the bank account and other things which lead you to believe he is alive, then you certainly would want to take action, at that point in time.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you