How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am pro per. My ex (Petitioner) has an attorney. We just had

This answer was rated:

I am pro per. My ex (Petitioner) has an attorney. We just had trial on the community business for our divorce case and the judge has taken the ruling under submission. I just realized that I made a mistake in my testimony. At one point in the trial, my ex's attorney asked about business revenue for 2011/2012 and I gave him the revenue numbers for 2012/2013. What should I do? Just promptly write a letter explaining the mistake and submit it to the family court and cc her attorney? Or contact her attorney first before doing anything?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

What was the issue in the case which you were testifying about when you provided the revenue numbers? Would your mistake potentially change the outcome of the case on this issue?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The issue was the value of the community business. In trial it was the typical case of dueling expert accountant witnesses. The date of separation and date of valuation is 2010, so you could say that my goof on 2011/2012 revenue doesn't have any relevance. But, maybe a judge looks at the following couple years and that plays a part in their decision. I don't know. So I should probably just say that yes, it could potentially change the outcome of the case on this issue.

Hello again, Jon.

Assuming the documents containing your revenue numbers were admitted into evidence, your mistake during testimony is highly unlikely to change the outcome of the case given that the mistake did not involve the year in question.

However, just to be on the safe side and to adequately preserve the record should an appeal be necessary, you could file a motion for reconsideration if the court rules against you based on the mistaken testimony, citing your mistake during testimony with regard to the revenue numbers. Opposing counsel will likely oppose the motion and the court is not likely to grant it, but it would preserve the record for an appeal and notify the court of your inadvertent mistake.

Here is a link to the applicable rule providing for this type of motion:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!


Tina and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Related Family Law Questions