How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband was ordered to pay child support of $600 per

This answer was rated:

My ex-husband was ordered to pay child support of $600 per month. He worked in NH, and we lived in MA, so we did not set up automated child support payments. They were deducted from his paycheck. He lost his job 5 years ago. He changed the payment to $300 and started paying me on his own monthly. I did not argue the amount, as I figured if we went to court, it would be adjusted to approximately that amount. The problem is he continues to be unemployed, working side jobs on occasion, and is falling behind in paying me monthly. I need to remind him every month that he owes child support. How can I get this process automated, and get paid when it is due. He is physically and mentally able to hold a job and support his son.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You would have to go to court in MA where the support award was ordered and file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt and bring him back to court for non-payment. You would have to argue he is now willfully unemployed and ask the court to order the payments and ask the court to order them to be automated. If you cannot afford an attorney to go back to court, you can go through MA Child Support Enforcement, but they are so busy they do take some time to get to each case and get any action.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I was afraid that would be the only way to go. I will wait until October and make my decision. Are you a local attorney, and/or could you recommend one in the Worcester, MA area?

Thank you for your response.

I am a MA attorney, but the site rules forbid us from taking any customers from this site as clients and they do so in order to allow us to give customers unbiased answers so it does not appear we are steering customers to court or to take action just for us to solicit business for ourselves or to refer to friends of ours to make money.

The only thing we can do for attorney referrals is suggest the same sites used by other attorneys, or
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you