How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 14 her dad is verbally and emotional abusive

This answer was rated:

My daughter is 14 her dad is verbally and emotional abusive and talks very bad about me to her. What is the quickest way to get her out of this saturation . We have joint custody but he is the custodial parent
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did you try to address this issue with the father of your daughter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes but he refuses to talk about. When my daughter told him she wanted to live with me he told her he would did if she left. He is real bad about try to make her feel guilty

Thank you for your follow up.

If the father would not consent to your daughter moving in with you or to stop his abusive behavior, then someone in your position would have to document any and all abuse toward your daughter and any of negative remarks about you made by the father to your daughter and then a petition to modify child custody can be filed with the court which has established original custody and all the facts about father's abusive behavior and daughter's alienation of affection that are being caused by the father's negative remarks about the mother can be brought up to the judge's attention and the judge will review evidence and testimony from both sides and will decide whether to modify custody, based on what will be in the best interest of the minor child.

Also, your minor daughter does not decide with which parent she gets to live, since she is 14 years old, she will likely be considered old and mature enough to testify at the court hearing and to state her preferences as to the parent with whom she wants to live.

Also, any type of child abuse or neglect, can be reported to police and child protective services by you and your daughter, to help document and build your case for child custody modification.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you