How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28066
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed for a name change for my daughters (12 & 14 yrs old),

This answer was rated:

I filed for a name change for my daughters (12 & 14 yrs old), i have sole custody of my children. their father lives in arizona and he just filed a response asking the court to deny the petition what happens next?, should I answer his answer.
by the way i got his answer papers in court, he never mailed them to me
could you please help me?
thank you
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Since the father has filed an answer and is objecting to the name change, the matter will need to be set for hearing and go before the Judge. Tomorrow morning, you should contact the clerk of court or the judicial assistant of the Judge who the case has been assigned to and ask them the procedure to set the matter for hearing to go before the Judge, so both you and he can present your arguments for and against it. Since he resides in Arizona, you may want to obtain a few dates which the Judge can have this set on the docket and see which one works for him, since he will likely need to appear, unless he is granted permission to appear by phone. Once the date is set, you need to send him notice of the hearing.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hello and thank you for your response! contrary to what you tell me the clerk of the court and communication via online with the court service, this lady told me that both parties will be notify of any court decision

i am more confused now, my case # XXXXX XXXXX

You are welcome. This specific Judge may have his/her own way of handling the matter, so they will read your motion/petition and the response of your husband and decide. If needed, then the Judge will either set the matter for hearing on their own or you will receive a court order in the mail, with the decision of the Judge. You can monitor the status of the case online, through the clerks website, to see if the Judge has made any decisions and anything is entered on the docket. It could take a few weeks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you are not able to look up the case, i take it.

can i just file a motion to set the hearing for trial?

thank you

What county is this in? Ill try and look it up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

west palm beach, 15th circuit, 205 dixie hwy, wpb

thank you!

The last entry was his answer, which was filed on Sept 11. Here is the link.
FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i got that, that is how i check my case and how i found out about the response

thank you!