How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The custodial mother of my step daughter (who is insured by

This answer was rated:

The custodial mother of my step daughter (who is insured by my husband and I) wants a copy of our medical insurance card. The problem is the insurance card has information for our entire family on it such as indiviual ID information, name & doctors information. The insurance company does not print cards individually. We have already given copies of the insurance card to her primary care physician as well as dentist. How do I protect our personal information and oblige the mother? Is it a violation of our HIPAA rights to have to give her the card?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will provide you information in this regard.

When you say the Mother "wants" it has not been court ordered that she have one, correct? And her need is in case of an emergency situation - correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has taken this to her case manager who has demanded that my husband provide card directly to case manager in person. What is court ordered is support and that he provide medical insurance.

Well, I suggest you write a letter to the case manager and explain that the insurance coverage is there as Ordered by the court and that there is other information on the medical card that no one should be privy to. That there are not individual cards issued for each of the insured.

Tell her that you will gladly write down the information on a sheet of paper as it pertains to the child. But you are not giving up the card with other family member's information without a Direct Court Order to do so.

State that you are in compliance with the Court Order, insurance coverage is provided and the doctors all have the insurance information

I suggest you mail that letter, with a copy to the case manager's supervisor, certified mail with a return receipt requested.

Samuel II and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you