How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34722
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible for a divorce decree issued in Washington State

This answer was rated:

Is it possible for a divorce decree issued in Washington State between my husband, a retired USAF officer, and his ex-wife to be modified regarding a property award, namely her being awarded 1/4 of his retirement pension? She has since remarried and divorced again and has been receiving her part for the same number of years that they were married? Would this have to be done in the same state since neither one of them live there now or can it be done in the state where my husband and I reside? Thank you.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Ma'am I am sorry to have to bear bad news.

Absent a showing of fraud it is not possible to change the property settlement of a divorce decree.

If the divorce is final its difficult, if not impossible, to modify the terms of the property settlement. Typically you would need to show fraud or intentional concealment of assets to convince the court to re-open the divorce proceedings and allow modification of the divorce decree.

The reason for this is the courts desire to have a "final" decree of divorce be, in fact, final. They will not entertain a request to modify unless you can show fraud.

Again, I am very sorry to have to bear bad news.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
P. Simmons and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you