Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I am a single father in Florida. My child was born on Saturday.

I am a single father in Florida. My child was born on Saturday. Her mother is only 17 and lives with her mother. We have never lived together. I did sign the birth certificate and now I want to see my little girl and the mother says that I can not. What can I do?

Good Morning,

I am a Florida licensed attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you with your questions this morning.

First congratulations on the birth of yor daughter. Since you did sign the birth certificate, your daughters paternity has been established and you are entitled obtain custody/visitation of your child.

You will need to petition the court to establish a parenting plan. If you are able to work a parenting plan out with the mother, you may complete the form and file it with the court in the county where your child resides. If you are unable to reach an agreement, you will need to petition the court to establish a parenting plan. Here is a sample parenting plan for your review:
http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/995a.pdf

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

By reaching an agreement on the parenting plan, does this also cover child support? Is child support mandatory if we decide to share custody?

Child support must be addressed. It is mandatory for parents to support their children. However it is not mandatory for one parent to pay the other parent support. Whether support is payable is determined according to the amount of time each parent has the child and the earnings of both parents.