How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a common law marriage in Pennsylvania. The inception

This answer was rated:

I was in a common law marriage in Pennsylvania. The inception date of the "marriage" was 1997 Feb 14. The last date of sexual intercourse was August of 1996. The man I though of as my husband told me he could not have sex because his heart was too weak. I believed him. We were together until I filled for a legal divorce in October of 2007. I agree to pay support and pay for his car payment. I followed through with this agreement. I have become aware that my partner is gay. I want to know if it is possible to get a common law marriage annulled. I was lied to. I was taken advantage of. Do I have recourse? What can I do?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Are you still paying any support to this ex-common law husband?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have paid more then required. I am no longer sending any more money. Just don't want to have to say I was married to this man.


Dear Alexis,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, since you already obtained a legal divorce, it would be legally impossible to have this common law marriage annulled, since the law only allows either divorce or an annulment, but not both.

I am very sorry to provide you with this news, but please understand that I have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when the answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I understand that I have a legal divorce, but it was not entered into in good faith. I was deceived and paid support to some one who never consummated the marriage. I want to recover my loses.

Dear Alexis,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, all of these issues would had to be addressed at your divorce proceedings and at this point in time it would generally be too late to address such issues.

I am sorry and I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you