How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31781
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When a 14 year old in Georgia signs an election form choosing

This answer was rated:

When a 14 year old in Georgia signs an election form choosing to live with one parent, when does it go into effect? Is it immediately upon being filed, or is there some time delay. Also, when that 14 year old makes that choice, can he also decide if and when he wants to go for visitation with the non custodial parent or is he still bound to the visitation schedule?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Kirk Adams : Pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 19-9-3, (5)-(6), a child who is 14 or older has the right to select the parent with whom he or she desires to live. The child's selection for purposes of custody shall be presumptive unless the parent selected is determined not to be in the best interests of the child.
Kirk Adams : Thus, the election is not immediate.
Kirk Adams : Instead, the judge must still approve the election, and in order to do so, the judge will determine whether or not it is in the child's best interest to live with the selected parent.
Kirk Adams : Also, the child doesn't have the right to refuse the non-custodial parent visitation. Instead, the child and custodial parent must honor the visitation order.
Customer: My child is afraid of her father and when she officially makes the choice, she will be terrified to go to his house at all for fear of retaliation from him. I'm sure we are not the first family in this situation. What are our options? She wants to know that as soon as she signs, she will be able to elect not to go to his house at all.
Kirk Adams : You could file a motion to modify custody based on her desire to live with you and then request an emergency hearing on the matter. You could also request a temporary restraining order/protective order to allow the child to live with you until the hearing occurs.
Kirk Adams : If you have an attorney or hire an attorney, he/she will be able to file these things to allow her to legally remain with you until the court rules on the matter.
Customer: Thank you very much
Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
You can request the TRO/protective order to be granted without notice to the father If you can prove it's an emergency situation.